It’s been a while and I apologise for my long, long blogging absence. November was a bittersweet month of big life changes with some really lovely moments and some not-so-lovely moments. In all the jumble of emotions that were flying around, I was not in the proper headspace to be writing about gratitude (even though practicing gratitude is not just writing about the bright, happy moments). With a lot of love and support from my loved ones, I’m feeling so much better and am excited to share with you ten things that have been making me happy this week. Hope you enjoy!
1. Christmas!!! December is without a doubt my favourite time of the year and I couldn’t be happier that Christmas is only two weeks away. I’ve already bought nearly all my presents, decorated the house and watched a bunch of Christmas movies (even the super-cheesy daytime drama movies on Netflix) so I feel like I’m oozing festive cheer right now.
2. Family/friend support. Basically I’ve been going through a totally rubbish time this past month with some personal issues. It’s one of the toughest things I’ve had to deal with in a long time but the support of my loved ones has been phenomenal. Sometimes it takes something really awful happening for you to take stock of the important things in life. I don’t think I ever forgot what was important but being engulfed by so much love and kindness makes you appreciate your loved ones even more. I have been treated to spa days, sent kind texts from friends at church when I haven’t been able to face going, had listening ears when I’ve needed to rant and tight hugs when I haven’t felt like talking at all. And of course, a whole lot of chocolate! I really am blessed beyond belief.
3. Book Love. One of the many changes I’ve noticed since working on getting my anxiety under control is that my concentration levels have been dramatically better. During a period of my life when my anxiety was quite bad, I stopped reading for pleasure as I found it too hard to stay focused. This was one of the saddest symptoms of my anxiety because reading is one of my favourite things in the world. However, my concentration seems to be soaring lately and I’ve been devouring one book after another. My soul is very happy.
4. Work Life Balance. I am LOVING my new job so much! I started working as an education officer a few months ago and I can’t believe that I get paid to do something that I’m enjoying so much. It’s not a feeling I’ve had in a long time. I feel very grateful to have the opportunity to be in the lives of these special young people. I’m also extremely grateful to be working with some genuinely nice, supportive people who I get along with so well. And I already got a pay rise so I’m feeling particularly warm and fuzzy toward my new employers at the moment.
5. Christmas jumpers. I don’t think anything could make me feel more Christmassy than a group of adults wearing the most garishly decorated Christmas jumpers imaginable. Christmas jumper are EVERYWHERE right now and I am very, very pleased about this.
6. Mental Health Check. This time last year, my mental health was not in the best place. My anxiety was out of control and I was slowly isolating myself from all the people in my life by disengaging from any situation around me that was making me feel anxious. With all the changes that have been going on in my life this past month or so, I’ve been noticing big improvements with my anxiety levels and that I’m reacting much better to turbulent situations.
7. Summer Clothing. I’m not sure if this is classified as a happy thing or an unhappy thing. Basically this month we are finally having some warmer weather and after about six months of cold weather, it’s time to crack open the box of summer clothes that’s been gathering dust at the top of my wardrobe. The good news is I can finally justify shopping for new summer clothes. The bad news is that I can’t put off going to the gym a moment longer!
8. Blogmas/Vlogmas. – I really wanted to take part in Blogmas this year but sadly time just got away with me this past month. I am enjoying reading what other bloggers are writing about for Blogmas and I love how creative and inspiring some of the posts are. And I don’t care how old I am, it just wouldn’t be Christmas without 24 Days of Zoella.
9. Gilmore Girls Marathon. In preparation of Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life, I power-watched all seven seasons on Netflix over the past few months and then spent an entire weekend watching the four-part mini-series as soon as it came out in November. It did not disappoint. I now feel like I need a Gilmore Girls detox after being immersed in all things Stars Hollow for so long. I think I deserve a wand and a crown or at least a cup of Luke’s coffee for my effort #teamjess.
10. Gloria Jean’s festive flavours. It always starts to feel like Christmas to me when Gloria Jean’s bring out their festive flavours for the year. This season, the flavour is Candy Cane mocha and the chiller is just soooo unbelievably good! There’s a Gloria Jean’s booth very close to where I work so the temptation to overload on Candy Cane Mocha chillers will be strong this Christmas.
What are some things that are making you happy this Christmas?